Gibson Pickups in a PRS?

Discussion in 'Tone Zone' started by Ian Alderman, Nov 5, 2015.

1. Ian Alderman

Ian Alderman Member

Just curious as to opinions on what a 490R and 498T would sound like in a PRS SE Zach Myers. I don't mind the stock zebra pickups, but after doing some cleaning around the house I found the stock pickups gutted from the Gibson Les Paul I used to own and I've got a pickup set laying around not getting any use.

For the knowledgeable here, would it sound beefy with the Zach Myers? Would it be bright or dark and muddy? It's been years since the stock 490R and 498T were in the Les Paul Custom- those were replaced by a Seymour Duncan Alnico II in the neck and a Gibson Dirty Fingers in the bridge.

I'm not looking to be a metal player by any means, so overwound, massive magnet passives aren't in the repertoire.

I play a lot of different things, mainly Mastodon, The Sword, Black Sabbath, a little Metallica, old Offspring, Tool, and I write my own stuff. Basically heavy rock that can lean towards metal, but definitely no blackened death metal.

I don't think it could hurt to give it a shot, but I'm just curious. I know that it could be possible if I didn't like the Gibson pickups, I could sell them or maybe work out a trade at my local music shop for a nice PRS set.

What do you guys and girls think?

2. seanseanhd

seanseanhd New Member

was wondering the same myself if you do let me know how it turns out.

3. Ian Alderman

Ian Alderman Member

It's taken me a long time, but I've decided I'm going to go through with the pickup swap and see how it turns out. Hopefully, it's an improvement but if I don't like it I'll swap back to the originals.

4. Brandon Kohlwes

Brandon Kohlwes New Member

Ian Alderman, how did this turn out for you? I’m about to try the same thing...