Se245 Vs Se Zach Myers (2017 Models) Comparison.

Discussion in 'Student Edition Models' started by evan north, Sep 3, 2017.

1. evan north

evan north New Member

I have recently bought a SE245 from the local classifieds, a 2011 quilt top in whale blue and am rather impressed with it.
    I like it so much that, if my playing improves enough by the end of the year I may consider treating myself to either the 2017 Zach Myers or maybe just a 2017 se245 and possibly using my existing se245 as a modding test bed.
    Just how much of a difference in sound is there between a se245 and a Zach Myers?
    I play mostly classic rock but am also partial to a nice clean jazzy/funky tone too so would like something that would cover all bases.

chicago slim likes this.
  2. chicago slim

chicago slim New Member

I've owned a 2012 SE 245, 2015 Zach Myers, 2017 Zach Myers and 2015 S2 Singlecut semi-hollow. The Zach Myers is basically an SE 245 with more cambering and an f-hole. My SE 245 weighed 8 lbs and sounded like a Les Paul. I searched for years, trying Zach Myers guitars, until I found what I wanted. What I found to be the biggest difference, was the sound. I found that I liked the sound of the lightest weight Zach Myers. The two that I bought only weigh 6.5 lbs. The sound is more semi-hollow like. I also found that I liked the sound of the SE 245 pickups, much better in the lighter guitars. You might not be looking for the same sounds, that I am.

It can get expensive, when you start modifying a guitar. I decided to sell the SE 245, instead of changing pickups. I then bought a second Zach Myers, with the intention of modifying it. Then I found a used, modified S2 Singlecut semi-hollow, with Seymour Duncan pickups and a replaced toggle switch. The price was about what it would have cost for a Zach Myers, plus upgrades. The original owner put several hundred dollars into the S2, and still didn't like it. The guitar works great for me, it's very vintage sounding. But, the original owner, didn't like it.

So good luck, with whatever you decide to get. I love these guitars.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

ooglybong and evan north like this.
  3. evan north

evan north New Member

Thanks for the reply.
    I had a good try of the Zach Myers yesterday (in the soundproof booth in the local PMT store).
    The build was flawless and it played well.
    I found the pickups to be more than adequate but I would like a bit more aggression from the bridge unit, although I did find it to be rather responsive to picking/strumming dynamics.
    I am also considering the Mark Tremonti SE 2017 model too and may try one later in the month.
    The attraction with the Tremonti is it seems a little more in line with the USA models due to it having a slightly deeper body and 25 inch scale maple, rather than mahogany neck and it also has korean built versions of the Tremomti pickups which are individually voiced for the bridge and neck ( the bridge is said to be pretty raunchy ).
    The four conductor wiring on the new pickups open up possibilities for coil tap and series/parallel or phase reversal too which is another bonus.
    I am on the fence over the tremelo but, as it did not pull forward too much when performing double note bends as stock I am sure an extra spring or even a tremel-no or maglok unit will cure it. (I had a quick look at the Tremonti but was running out of time and did not get to plug it in).
    I will wait until the end of this year just in case any custom colours become available for the UK market 2018 as I rather like the quilt top on my SE 245.

4. chicago slim

chicago slim New Member

My advice is to take your time, and play as many guitars as you can. My local store had a Bernie Marsden SE, that I kept going back to play. Everyone spoke so highly of these guitars, that I really wanted to buy one. But playing it side by side with other models, I found that I liked a Zach Myers, even more. As nice as the ZM was, two years later I found another ZM that I liked even better.

The only thing that I don't like about the Zach Myers, are the tuners. I replaced the tuners with Gotoh Vintages, like I have on a core line PRS guitar.

The build quality is pretty consistent, but you can still find some individual guitars, that really stand out.

5. evan north

evan north New Member

Yes, I am going to take my time over making my choice of instrument. The store I am getting it from is local to me and one of the largest PRS dealers in the country.
    I have been buying guitars from the guy who manages the place for 30 years or more and he is fine about me trying whatever I want as many times as I like before purchase and will order or hold anything for me.
    On the subject of tuners, which model Gotoh tuners fit an SE without any modification? i think it would be benificial to have locking ones on a Tremonti.

6. chicago slim

chicago slim New Member

The Gotoh tuners that I used are the Vintage model. They don't lock and look like the old Kluston's. I've never used a drop-in fit, locking tuner.

[​IMG]

7. evan north

evan north New Member

Cool, vintage tulip style as on some gibsons.